The Waldorf salad was first created between 1893 and 1896 at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City. This fresh and crunchy raw version will knock your socks off with its complex, sweet, and savory bits!
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, diced
- 3 large celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup golden raisins, soaked in 1 cup water for 2 or 3 hours and drained
- ¼ cup dried juice-sweetened cranberries
- ½ large pineapple, peeled, cored, and chopped (2 cups)
- ½ cup green grapes, halved
- ½ cup walnuts, crushed
- 2 TB. walnuts, crushed
- ¼ cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated (¼ cup)
- 1 TB. sweet mustard, or 1 tsp. dried mustard seeds
- 2 TB. apple cider vinegar
- 2 TB. cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp. Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- 1 to 2 TB. filtered water
- In a large salad bowl, combine apples, celery, golden raisins, cranberries, pineapple, green grapes, ½ cup walnuts, chives, and carrot. Set aside.
- In a high-speed blender or mini food processor, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of walnuts, sweet mustard or dried mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, medjool dates, Himalayan sea salt, and water. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour dressing over the salad, and mix until well coated.
- Serve immediately.