In this video, I show my special halloween collection… see if you can identify the movies in my collection. Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year.
New Year’s Eve is always a blast. Until the next morning, that is….
We’ve all experienced that achy, nauseous, morning-after feeling that comes with too much celebration and too many toasts to the new year. But what if we told you it doesn’t have to be that way? What if there was an easy way to rid yourself of that debilitating New Year’s Day hangover?
There is. It’s as simple as drinking a big glass of fresh, raw juice.
Ugh…What’s Causing My Hangover??
To understand why a 32-ounce, refreshing, raw juice will fix what ails you, it helps to know how alcohol causes those nasty symptoms in the first place.
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are a number of factors at play:
- Alcohol causes your body to produce more urine. In turn, urinating more than usual can lead to dehydration. Think: thirst, dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Alcohol triggers an inflammatory response from your immune system. This is causing your inability to concentrate, memory problems, decreased appetite and loss of interest in usual activities.
- Alcohol irritates the lining of your stomach, increases the production of stomach acid and delays stomach emptying. That’s the culprit behind your abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting.
- Alcohol can cause your blood sugar to dip too low, causing fatigue, weakness, shakiness, and mood disturbances.
- Alcohol causes your blood vessels to expand, which can lead to that headache.
- Alcohol can make you sleepy, but your quality of sleep will decrease. This may leave you groggy and tired.
- Alcoholic beverages contain ingredients called congeners, which give many types of alcoholic beverages their flavor and can contribute to hangovers. Congeners are found in larger amounts in dark liquors, such as brandy and whiskey, than in clear liquors, such as vodka and gin.
If only those drinks weren’t so much fun on the way down…
Step 1: “No-Duh” Prevention BEFORE You Even Get a Hangover
Don’t skip the party; just skip the pain.
We’ll get to the Juice Guru™ morning-after cures below, but you might want to take some “no-duh” precautions before (and while) you drink. The following steps should help reduce or maybe even eliminate a hangover before it starts:
- Know your limits and don’t surpass them.
- Eat some food before you start drinking. Never drink on an empty stomach.
- Avoid darker colored alcoholic beverages (they have more of those harmful cogeners).
- Drink plenty of water before, between and after each drink to keep hydrated.
- If you are sober enough, drink a fresh, raw fruit juice that is high in fructose before going to bed. We’ve included some great recipes below. Fructose can help metabolize the alcoholic chemicals that cause hangover symptoms. It’s also a safe way to up your blood sugar after the alcohol dip. If you are able to think ahead, and have a juice press, make a fresh juice before going out and refrigerate it. Then it’ll be ready to go when you need it.
If you didn’t take these precautions, or they didn’t do the trick, then we’ve still got your cure.
There are an awful lot of harms caused by demon alcohol, but hangovers happen mainly because of the toxicity of the alcohol and dehydration. By focusing on these two main issues, you can largely eliminate the hangover symptoms.
Fresh, raw juices do this and more. They hydrate your body and inject antioxidants and phytochemicals directly into your cells, offsetting and flushing alcoholic toxins out of your body.
The recipes below were specifically selected to help you combat your hangover.
Juice Guru™ Magical Hangover-Busting Elixirs
All of these recipes were chosen for their simplicity (as well as their effectiveness), which is a definite benefit when you aren’t feeling your best. They all yield about 4 cups of juice and are formulated for a low-rpm juicer, although any kind of juicer will do the trick. Make sure to alternate juicing each of the ingredients to ensure optimal efficiency of your juicer and mixing of the juice. Drink your juice immediately after making it.
Cantaloupe or Watermelon Juice
These are simple recipes for both before bed on New Year’s Eve and on New Year’s Day morning. These fruits really help to flush out the toxicity from your system, have plenty of good fruit fructose to even your sugar levels, and are full of hydrating, structured water.
Cantaloupe is one of the most nutritious fruits on the planet, offering protection for your immune system, among other benefits. And watermelon is full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. It is also a diuretic, and will flush your system.
Make sure to cut the coarse outer rind off, but leave the inner rind intact – this part is full of antioxidants you wouldn’t normally eat, and it helps give the juice a surprisingly creamy texture.
• 2 medium cantaloupes, outer rind removed, seeded and cut in slices OR
• 1 medium-large watermelon, outer rind removed, seeded and cut in slices
Pineapple Grape Ginger Juice
You won’t believe how delicious this juice tastes – kind of like a lemon drop candy you may have had as a kid. This juice is a vitamin C powerhouse that will improve your digestion, regulate your blood sugar and give you an overall immune system boost.
• 3 cups red grapes
• 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced
• 1 – 1 ½ inch piece peeled fresh ginger
Celery Green Apple Spinach Juice
This is a simple and delicious juice that provides incredible electrolyte replenishment. Its mineral density is also great for helping to relieve headaches. Spinach, in particular, is one of the most potent foods for cleansing, reconstruction, and regeneration of the intestinal tract.
• 2 large celery stalks
• 5 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
• 1 medium bunch spinach
Carrot Apple Lemon Juice
This perfectly balanced juice detoxifies the liver and aids significantly in digestion. Also, the carrot juice molecule is analogous to our own blood molecules. No wonder they are so beneficial.
• 6 medium-large carrots
• 3 medium Fuji apples, cored and sliced
• 3 large celery stalks
• 1 medium red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, and sliced
• 3 large Romaine lettuce leaves
• Juice of 1 medium lemon
Alternate juicing the carrots, apple slices, celery, red bell pepper slices and lettuce leaves. When done, stir in hand-squeezed lemon juice.
With these hangover busters in your back pocket, you can make this the best New Year’s holiday ever!
The holiday season is the best! Spending time with those you love … exchanging gifts … sharing love … making memories. We at Juice Guru wish you happiness and health this holiday season.
But let’s not forget the hallmark of the winter holiday season – being surrounded by rich foods, sweets and desserts. They taste so good going down, they certainly are hard to resist… And let’s not get started on the holiday eggnog and New Year’s Eve cocktails…
Maintaining your figure, keeping up your energy and staying healthy aren’t easy through the temptations of the holiday dinner table and those New Year’s Eve parties.
It’s a good thing we’ve got the answer. There is a way to have your holiday cake (literally and figuratively) and maintain your weight and health too.
It’s as easy as having a Daily Juice.
One 24-ounce green juice to start off each day of your holiday week is the key to having the energy to enjoy this holiday season to the fullest.
To better explain why, here are Juice Guru’s top 10 reasons to enjoy a Daily Juice through your holidays.
1. Daily Juice helps you keep it all in moderation. Those Christmas cookies sure are tempting… But you’ll be less tempted to nosh throughout the day or overindulge on unhealthy treats and desserts if your body feels satisfied.
Having a large juice first thing in morning fills you up in the right way – with a healthy dose of nutrients. When you think of drinking fresh juice, you may not think “satisfying…” But in truth juice satisfies your body’s real hunger better than any fattening indulgence. When you feel that nagging pang of hunger, that’s really your body telling you it needs nutritious fuel, not another bon bon.
A single juice can deliver the nutrition of a large serving plate full of leafy greens, fruits and veggies in a single drink. Simply put, you will flood your body more with more nutrition in one Daily Juice than most of your friends get in a week or more.
What does that mean for your holidays? Less hunger means less temptation to overdo the treats. You may still want some … we mean, who doesn’t? But filling yourself first with juice will help you naturally cut down on the bad stuff. And that will help you maintain your healthy weight into 2016.
2. A Juice-a-day keeps flus and cold away. Fresh juices taste great. But there’s more to your daily “cup of sunshine” than that. Many fruits and vegetables naturally help to boost your immunity and keep away those nagging winter colds and flu. And combining them in a cup of fresh juice is the most delicious way to keep healthy.
One of our favorite health-boosting additions to any juice is lemon. Lemon, of course, will bring out the delicious flavors of everything else in your juice. But lemon is also brimming with vitamin C, which is vital to building and maintaining your strong immune system. Ginger, too, is helpful to keeping flu-free. Ginger heats your body on a cold winter day and promotes healthy sweating to detoxify your body and fight infections. A little ginger goes a long way … you only need ½ inch to add spice to your juice.
If you’re feeling a cold coming on, try our Cold and Flu Buster recipe below.
3. Daily Juice can bust that New Year’s Day hangover. It’s inevitable. That awesome New Year’s Eve celebration is almost always followed by the headache and fatigue of the New Year’s Day hangover. You could mask your headache by popping more substances into your overburdened system, but that won’t really cure you or give you back your pep.
Instead, try a juice this New Year’s Day. A fresh juice can cure you of a hangover naturally. Hangovers are largely caused by toxins in alcohol and the dehydration that occurs when you drink too much.
The right juice will both detoxify your system of those impurities causing your pain and fatigue, and flood your body with natural moisture. Try a straight watermelon juice. It’s one of the easiest juices you can make with a debilitating hangover. It also gives you all the detoxifying moisture you’ll need to be feeling better in no time.
4. Daily Juice adds festive color to your holiday table. Juices aren’t just green. They can come in all of the colors of the rainbow – from vibrant reds to shiny orange. Serve one up in champagne flutes with a little sparkling water to dress up your healthy holiday table this year. Try cantaloupe juice with a splash of sparkling water.
5. Juice is a better kind of sweet Holiday treat. Sugar. It’s the demon in those holiday treats that will fatten up your waistline and compromise your immunity. The more we learn about processed, industrialized, and isolated sugars, the more we should want to give them up. It’s a good thing that – for most people – fruit and fresh fruit juices are different.
Some fruits, such as apples and berries, are natural blood sugar regulators. They can deliver the sweetness you crave, with the fiber and other nutrients to keep you from gaining weight and feeling the other harmful impacts of sugar consumption.
A 2012 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that berry juice contains a particular phytonutrient that keeps sugar from being absorbed in your digestive system. Participants who drank the juice did not experience the same spike in blood sugar or the harmful sugar crash associated with eating or drinking processed sugar. What’s more, the juice actually offset the spike and crash associated with regular sugar when added to the juice.
What does this mean for your holiday? Satisfy your sweet tooth with a delicious glass of apple blueberry juice instead of Christmas pie. And if you really can’t resist that pie, you’ll at least offset some of the damage if you eat it with your juice…
6. Daily Juice nourishes you like nothing else. A fruit as basic as an apple delivers proven antioxidant, cardiovascular, anti-cancer and anti-asthma benefits. Now imagine drinking the nutrition in 5 apples and a bunch of nutrient-rich kale in a single basic Daily Juice, and you can see where we’re going here. The truth is fresh juice is like a magical liquid vitamin pill. It’s one of the best ways to ensure you stay healthy throughout the winter season.
7. Daily Juice can help make your holiday guilt-free. Filling up on nutrient dense juice first thing every day will help offset the guilt of any holiday bingeing you might encounter…
8. Daily Juice will help you glow in that little black dress. Want to naturally enhance your beauty this New Year’s Eve? Daily Juice is just what your stylist ordered. Nourishing your body boosts your circulations and gives you a natural glow in the short term. In the long term, fresh juices do so much more.
We’ve all heard of free radicals. They are substances that are both made in our body and invade our bodies from pollutants in our air, water and food. They break down our cells and can lead to premature wrinkles and sagging, as well as an overall unhealthy look. Antioxidants are natural substances that counteract free radicals, and they are only found in plant foods. Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants in abundance.
Fresh pressed juices allow you to consume a more of these antioxidants as a result of the volume and variety of produce you can juice into a single drink. It’s the best “beauty drink” money can buy…
9. Daily Juice will give you energy to party into the night. When you drink a fresh-pressed juice, one of the very first things you notice is how energized you feel. The energy from fresh juice is immediate and doesn’t result in a crash like caffeine and energy drinks. If you want to party late this New Year’s Eve, have a Daily Juice before you go.
10. Tis the season for sharing with those you love. The top reason to enjoy Daily Juice this holiday season is to share the love with others. At Juice Guru we live by the motto: juice. share. love. In our opinion, juicing with and for your family and friends is the best way to show them just how much you care.
Now that you know why you should enjoy Daily Juice, here are some recipes you may need…
Basic Daily Green Juice
This juice is well-balanced, full of nutrition and – most important – easy to make during your busy holiday season.
4 green apples (cored and sliced)
1 lemon (outer rind cut off and quartered)
½ bunch of kale
½ bunch of spinach
Alternate apples, lemon, kale and spinach through your juicer. Serve and enjoy.
Cold and Flu Buster
Steve got knocked down pretty bad with the flu this winter. Thankfully, I kicked it in just 3 days without any harmful medications. This was my daily regiment (combined with mushroom extract for immunity building):
6 ribs of celery
1/2 bunch of kale
1 red apple
1/4 inch ginger (peeled)
1 dash of cayenne pepper
Alternate celery, apple, kale, lemon, ginger and cucumber through your juicer. Gently stir in cayenne pepper. Serve and enjoy.
And remember … juice. share. love.
ItIt’s that time again. The kids are going back to school. Gone are the days of the backyard parties, picnics in the park and cooling off at the pool. Now is the time of year you have to dial back their bedtimes, and start getting your children serious about learning and in gear for that next grade.
You assemble a list and busily scurry around, making sure they have everything they need. Notebooks…check! Pencils…check! Awesome new clothes…check! Getting to bed “early” so they aren’t late the first day…check! You take care of everything to make sure your children start school on the right foot.
But did you forget something? It’s not just pencils, books and cool clothes that make a child successful in school. Getting your kids the right nutrition can make a huge difference in their focus and even their smarts. Studies show that feeding your kids better nutrition can influence their cognitive ability and intelligence levels. Improving the quality of your children’s diets can actually result in their being on task more often and help increase their math and reading test scores.
Proper nutrition helps your child show up at school on time ready to learn. And because your kids will be healthier, they are likely to have fewer absences.
Now that you know how important good nutrition is to your kids’ performance in school, ask yourself: When was the last time your child had his or her full serving of leafy greens? If your child is like most school kids, the answer might range from never to sometime last month.
This year, get your children into a habit of having a fresh juice every day. You can pack a full day’s serving of vitamins and minerals in a single drink. It’s best if they have it first thing in the morning on a completely empty stomach and at least 20 minutes before breakfast. But no matter when they have one, a fresh juice will give them the edge they need to be successful in every way this school year (and in life).
Need a good recipe to ease your kiddos into juicing? Try this easy recipe. It tastes like pure apple juice, but it’s full of the healthy greens they need to be healthy, strong and focused this school year.
Turn Over a New Leaf Elixir
- 4 Apples (Fuji are great for this juice)
- 1 cup fresh Kale or Spinach (or combine them)
- Through a juicer, press half the apples and half the kale and/ or spinach. Repeat in this order with the remaining fruits and vegetables.
- Gently stir and serve immediately.
*Juice Guru Tip: It may seem like a big job to juice fresh apples for your kids when you can so easily buy a bottle of apple juice at your local supermarket. Our lives can be very busy. But keep in mind that a juice a day is one of the best things you can do to help your child grow healthy and strong. And while the processed variety is rich in sugar, fresh apples are blood-sugar regulators. Apple juice in a jar has also lost most of its vitamins and minerals, but this fresh juice is brimming with nutrients that have anti-asthma, anti-cancer and other important benefits for your babes.
Be your own guru,
If you found this post helpful, please be sure to add your voice to the conversation below. And don’t forget to share it with those you love.
No season has a greater variety of produce to enjoy than summer. But not all are the greatest for juicing.
To help you find the best elixir to sip poolside, here is our list of Juice Guru’s top 6 summer fruits and veggies to feature in your juices. Serve these up in juices for your friends this season, and give them an experience they’ll remember.
Number 6: Cucumber
Probably not the first veggie (well, fruit actually) that comes to mind when thinking of summertime; cucumbers can have a boring rep. But think about this: Cucumbers are used to cool and relax spa-goers around the world. And with good reason. Cool and juicy, they make an excellent base for many summer juice recipes (see Italian Heirloom and Basil Juice recipe below). And they are packed with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer benefits (especially estrogen-related cancers of the breast, ovary, uterus and prostate).
Number 5: Strawberries
Now we’re talkin’. These delicious powerhouses of nutrition are available at their ripest and most delicious throughout the summer months. While they don’t yield a lot of juice, strawberries are a great complement or mix-in to your juice for a fabulous fruity taste (see Juice Guru’s post for Springtime Pineapple Strawberry Elixir Recipe). Their anti-aging benefits will keep you looking and feeling young, while their anti-cancer benefits will help keep you free of breast, cervical, colon, and esophageal cancers. Just make sure to get them from your local farmers market, if you can, since studies indicate they lose the majority of their nutrition within 2 days of being picked.
Number 4: Cilantro
Cilantro is another ingredient that doesn’t yield a lot of juice but is a deliciously refreshing mix-in to spruce up any juice. And, just like strawberries, it’s at its peak in the summertime. Cilantro isn’t only delicious, it’s packed with phytonutrients and has antimicrobial effects. Try it in any green juice for an extra dose of flavor. And to bring out that delicious flavor even more, mix in some salty celery, lemon or both.
Number 3: Kale
Kale may be available year-round in supermarkets, but it’s in season and harvested in the summer and fall, beginning in June. These are the months you can get it fresh from the farmer’s markets and local farms. Kale is tops on any of our juicing lists because of its mild flavor in green juices and incredible nutrients. Kale is in the top 10 of every list of the most nutritious veggies, due largely to its antioxidant and cancer-preventative benefits. Check out our Juice Guru Classic Template Recipe to make any number of outstanding green juices featuring kale.
Number 2: Melon
Take your pick: Watermelon, cantaloupe, crenshaw, honeydew…so many choices. The easiest juices to make, all you have to is cut off the outer rind (leaving the soft, nutrient-rich inner rind intact), cut it up into small chunks and run it through a juicer. Kids love these juices! And they are refreshing and nutritious too.
Number 1: Heirloom Tomatoes
Our number one pick for summer fruits and veggies is the outstanding heirloom tomato. In case you’ve never heard of one, an heirloom tomato is a variety that has been passed down for generations and is open pollinated (i.e., not a hybrid). They have flavor that is far superior to any other tomato you’ve ever tried and are mostly only available in the summer months. Our favorite is the Brandywine for juiciness and flavor. If you’ve never enjoyed an heirloom before, don’t let their appearances fool you. They are often misshapen and not traditionally the red color of other tomatoes (often even partly green and/or mottled in color). Pick heavy ones that aren’t too soft, hard or musty-smelling and store them at room temperature.
Try the following Juice Guru recipe for Italian Heirloom Tomato Basil Juice and be prepared to be blown away.
Italian Heirloom Tomato Basil Juice
- 8 large heirloom tomatoes
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 large lemon (outer peel cut off, pith intact)
- Clean all produce and cut in chunks.
- In a low-rpm juicer, alternate pressing ingredients.
- Stir and serve immediately.
If you enjoyed this post, or found it helpful, please like it. And if you have any other recipe ideas using our top 6 summer fruits and veggies, please be sure to share with a comment.
Enjoy your “juicy” summer!
Everyone feels that exhilarating lift of energy in the fever of spring. Why not get a REAL boost of energy to make that “spring” in your step last well into summer?
This insanely delicious juice will do just that. It combines two of the best fruits of the spring season into a stimulating tropical taste. Pineapple and strawberry create a synergistic flavor combination that’s both mildly tart and syrupy sweet.
Not only that, but its powerful healing properties will flush toxins out of your body, naturally giving you more energy. And its anti-inflammatory properties heal digestive disorders and improve cold symptoms.
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 8 to 10 medium-large strawberries, green leaves intact
- In a low-rpm juicer, alternate pressing pineapple slices and strawberries.
- Stir and serve immediately.
(Yields 32 ounces)