Build a Thriving Wellness Business With the Power of Juice
Meatballs made with eggplant? What a great idea! Serve them on a bed of zucchini noodles or with your favorite bean pasta.
1 tablespoon chia seeds
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup low sodium or no-salt-added vegetable broth, or more as needed
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium unpeeled eggplant, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium or no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/4 cup unfortified nutritional yeast
1 cup whole wheat panko or breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
pinch red chili flakes, or to taste
2 cups low sodium or no-salt-added pasta sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Whisk the chia seeds and water together in a small bowl and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth in a medium skillet and saute the onion and garlic for five minutes or until the onion is translucent.
4. Add the eggplant and continue cooking for an additional 12-15 minutes, or until eggplant is soft, stirring occasionally and adding additional vegetable broth as needed to prevent burning.
5. Place the eggplant mixture in a mixing bowl and stir in the chia mixture, chickpeas and parsley.
6. Place in a food processor and pulse until chopped but not pureed.
7. Return to the bowl and stir in nutritional yeast, panko, oregano, basil and red chili flakes.
8. Mix well, then roll into balls.
9. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
10. Serve topped with pasta sauce.